- Blinds: Short for “blind bets,” these are the forced bets made before the cards are dealt. In Hold’em, blinds take the place of the classic “ante.”
- Button: Nickname for the player acting as the dealer in current hand.
- Check: Similar to a call but no money is bet. If there is no raise preflop, the big blind may check.
- Fifth Street: See River.
- Flop: The first three community cards dealt.
- Fourth Street: See Turn.
- Preflop: Anything that occurs before the flop is dealt is preflop.
- River: The final (5th) community card dealt; also known as fifth street.
- Showdown: When players reveal their hands to discover the pot’s winner.
- Turn: The fourth community card dealt; also known as fourth street.